Monday, December 30, 2013

Meet Ever After Rachel Van Dyken *waves*





How did you get your start in writing?
I used to be a school counselor ;) During my down time between scheduled kids I'd shut  my door (For my sanity) and write a few chapters. It was kind of my way to decompress and de-stress from every day life. I also used to work for Health and Welfare and had clients outside of school so it got pretty stressful at times. Reading was my first escape and then writing happened. :) 

What’s your favorite genre to write and why?
All of them! No, seriously. My goal is to write in every genre, well close to every genre. My first love was regency romance, then I switched over to contemporary and New Adult. I'm one of those readers--the type that read anything they can get their hands on. It ends up transferring to my writing ;)

Where do you write…kitchen table? Office? Work?
Kitchen table, closest to food and coffee! 



Favorite character you’ve written to date and why.
This is so hard because no matter WHO I CHOSE I'm cheating. You know what I mean? I think Nixon from the Elite series is one of my favorites but I really have a soft spot for Wes Michels from Ruin. He had so much wisdom and such a different out look on life. Even though I wrote it, I feel like I learned things, which is so awesome. 

POV—pick your poison. First person, third person, dual POV?
It depends on the genre. Third person for Historical. First person dual POV for New Adult and third person as many POV as I can for contemp.

What’s your typical writing day look like?
Usually, I get up anywhere from 4:30-6:30 depending on the day, and work out, eat, shower, then write until I can't write anymore. I really like getting in at least 6-10 hours a day. But it's my full time job so I feel like that's normal. 
Any weird quirks while you write? You know, like do you do a handstand while typing with only your right hand when writing kissing scenes…?
I have to listen to certain types of music to write a kissing scene and even then, it has to be on repeat. 


Lightning Round:

Red or White Wine: RED
Black or Fixed Coffee: FIXED (coconut milk latte)
Football or Basketball: FOOTBALL, which is weird...b/c it used to switched. GO SEAHAWKS!
Rap or Jazz: Both
Candy or Chocolate: Chocolate, but I'm not supposed to have sugar ;( 
Pirate or Ninja: Pirate. Always a pirate. I mean come on! It shouldn't even be a competition.
Christmas or Easter: Christmas. I LOVE Christmas. I listen to music in September to prepare for the Holidays
TV or Netflix: Netflix bc then I can watch on my own time.
Apple or PC: If I said PC my dad would actually disown me. :) I LOVE my Apple computer. I had to get rid of my old one and Im pretty sure i'm going to turn it into some sort of shrine...
Thor or Captain America: Thor. I even have a Thor mug. 
Muscular or Nerdy: Muscular.
Tattoos or no Tattos: TATS!!!!!!!!! 


Do you have any piercings? A few in my ears.


If you could get one tattoo that would describe your writing what would it be and why? It would be a tree. Okay, okay I know that sounds dumb. But trees have roots, and roots go into the ground and branch off everywhere. I feel like thats my writing, it all comes from one place but goes in tons of different directions. Wow, wisdom, right there. I hope you wrote it down...;) Kidding.

What’s your most embarrassing moment? When I was little I had a crush on a boy from school and I accidentally tripped, fell over backwards, flashed him my barbie underwear, and just sat there. Like an idiot. It still replays in my head.


If you were a superhero what would your power be? Would you wear a cape? 
I would want to have super speed. I'm terrified of Heights. But it would be cool to be able to do everything really fast. I'd also wear a cape and it would be red, b/c thats sounds awesome.

Would you rather be trapped in a room with Tom Hardy for twenty four hours knowing that you’ll have to eventually kill him to leave, or be trapped in a room for twenty four hours, spending your last moments in his loving embrace—before he kills you? I'd rather kill him. I mean I'd do it as painlessly as possible, but I'm selfish like that. I want to live. 


Would you rather be known as a bad kisser or a bad huger? 
My best friend told me i was a bad hugger one time. She said I didn't put my entire body into the embrace. So I practiced, and now Im better (I think). So I'd rather be a bad hugger.


Would you rather be a guest on The Ellen show or The Today show?
THE ELLEN SHOW--I love her. I want to dance with her.


You have ten seconds to convince The Kardashians to adopt you. Ready. Set. Go. 
If you don't adopt me I'm going to write a tell all book and publish it. BOOM!



This is the time for you to be inspiring ;) What’s your advice to aspiring authors?
Keep writing. I think lots of people put all their eggs in one basket and when that one egg doesn't do amazing--they panic and give up. Don't ever give up. You're going to have ups and downs as an author. Some people will love you will others will absolutely hate you. That's the name of the game. As long as you are doing what you love, what your' passionate about, then keep doing it. Get better, and keep writing. Keep publishing books. Success isn't in that one book that does awesome, it's in you continuing to push your own limits and inspire those around you. Writing isn't about you. It's about them..the readers, it's about fulfilling a part of their life that needs fulfillment. If you're writing to be rich, famous, well know--then you aren't writing for the right reasons. It needs to be your air. It needs to be your water. If it is--then you have nothing to worry about--just let it happen. :)

Twitter: @RachVD
Wattpad: Rachel Van Dyken
Facebook: Rachel Van Dyken
Website:www.rachelvandykenauthor.com 

LOVE,
RVD

4 comments:

  1. It's settled then. The Ever After foxes must get booked on Ellen since we all love her so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I love the writing advice. And a tree could be a very cool tat--depending on the kind of tree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Annie!!! ;) And yes Jessica, THIS MUST HAPPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Rachel, that writing advice made me get a little teary eyed. Preach sister!

    ReplyDelete