Monday, December 16, 2013

Meet Ever After RACHEL LACEY

How did you get your start in writing?
I've been writing since I was in high school. Publishing a book was always this pipe dream in the back of my mind, but for a while, it was less important to me than the writing itself. I had these stories in my mind that I just had to tell. I started many, finished few, but I was happy. Eventually though, that wasn't enough, and I realized my pipe dream of publishing a book would never become a reality unless I made it so. That month, I signed up for my first writing class. Three years of hard work later, I sold my first book!

What’s your favorite genre to write and why?
Contemporary romance. It's also one of my favorites to read! I absolutely love creating the magic of two people falling in love *sigh*

Where do you write…kitchen table? Office? Work?
I don't have an office right now, so I usually write from my couch.

Favorite character you’ve written to date and why.
Probably Kate, the heroine of the first book I wrote. I don't know if her story will ever be published, but she will always hold a special place in my heart. She still brings me to tears every time I read her story.

POV—pick your poison. First person, third person, dual POV?
Third person all the way.

What’s your typical writing day look like?
I write every night after my son is in bed, usually 9-11, and in the mornings when he is at school.

Any weird quirks while you write? You know, like do you do a handstand while typing with only your right hand when writing kissing scenes…?
Not really, but I do need silence. I can't write with the TV or music on. It's too distracting!
 
Lightning Round!

Red or White Wine: White, and preferably bubbly!
Black or Fixed Coffee: Hot chocolate :)
Football or Basketball: Neither
Rap or Jazz: Jazz
Candy or Chocolate: Chocolate, of course
Pirate or Ninja: Ninja
Christmas or Easter: Christmas
TV or Netflix: TV
Apple or PC: PC
Thor or Captain America: Is it terrible if I haven't seen either? :)
Muscular or Nerdy: What about muscular AND nerdy?
Tattoos or Clean Skin: Clean, although I don't mind tattoos within reason. Just don't be covered in them!

Do you have any piercings?
I used to have my ears and my belly button pierced, but my body rejects piercings. After years of infection, I finally had to admit defeat and take them all out!

If you could get one tattoo that would describe your writing what would it be and why?
If I knew, I'd have it! I've always wanted a tattoo, but never could think of something meaningful I knew for sure I'd want on my skin for the rest of my life.

What’s your most embarrassing moment?
That would have to be the time I had a few drinks and sang karaoke in front of Gloria Estefan.

If you were a superhero what would your power be? Would you wear a cape?
Invisibility, and no, I wouldn't need a cape :)

Would you rather be trapped in a room with Tom Hardy for twenty four hours knowing that you’ll have to eventually kill him to leave, or be trapped in a room for twenty four hours, spending your last moments in his loving embrace—before he kills you.
I'm a wuss, so I'd probably have to let him kill me.

Would you rather be known as a bad kisser or a bad hugger?
A bad hugger. Bad kissing is so much worse!

Would you rather be a guest on The Ellen show or The Today show?
Ellen...totally. I adore Ellen, although I'm enough of a dork that she'd surely embarrass me.

You have ten seconds to convince The Kardashians to adopt you. Ready. Set. Go.
Mmmmm...no thanks :)

This is the time for you to be inspiring ;) What’s your advice to aspiring authors?
Take yourself seriously. Give yourself deadlines - and keep them. Because once you sign that contract, you won't have five years to finish the next book. Believe in yourself - you can do it!

6 comments:

  1. What? You can't just throw out a drunken-karaoke Gloria Estefan bomb and not explain... story! story! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I was at a party at her hotel in Miami. I'd had a few drinks, then she showed up, and everyone was mobbing her. My friends and I were trying to "stay cool." I have no idea how we thought karaoke was a good idea, or forgot that she was in the same room hearing us (no, I can't carry a tune, and yes, we were singing one of her songs...OMG). Definitely qualifies as a most embarrassing moment! :) I did get to meet her that night too, and she is amazingly sweet and down-to-earth! Love her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohmygoodness! AND one of her songs. That's awesome.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad that Jess demanded this story, cause I was about to as well. And Rachel you need to watch Captain America and Thor. I mean, both leading men are just so fun to stare at. I'm just saying.

      Delete
    3. Glad you enjoyed :) And yes, I really do need to watch more movies! It's sad, really.

      Delete
  3. How did I miss this interview! Rachel, you crack me up. You don't want to be adopted by the K's? ...love the advice to aspiring writers. You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete