Monday, January 20, 2014

Discovering New Authors

I confess: reading time has been limited for me lately. So when I do get a chance to indulge, I often find myself reaching for something by one of my "must buy" authors. Jill Shalvis, Julie James, and Lori Wilde, to name a few. But I also love to discover new authors, and I want to make it a priority in 2014, especially since I will also be joining the ranks as a debut author this year.

Here were a few of my new discoveries in 2013:

Debut Author: Shannon Richard
http://www.amazon.com/Undone-A-Country-Roads-Novel-ebook/dp/B00B73T1YA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390068589&sr=8-1&keywords=undone+shannon+richard
Yes, my fellow Ever After Shannon! I just loved this book. Shannon's voice is so fresh and fun! I can't wait to return to Mirabelle, Florida, for the rest of the series.

New-To-Me Author: Roxanne St. Claire
http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Sand-Bay-Roxanne-Claire-ebook/dp/B006QBKH2S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390068699&sr=8-2&keywords=roxanne+st+claire+barefoot+series
Wow, how have I not read Roxanne St. Claire before? This book was sexy and fun and full of emotional punch. If only I had time to sit down and devour the whole series right now!

New Genre: Historical Romance
http://www.amazon.com/I-Married-Duke-Prince-Catchers-ebook/dp/B00BATKRO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390068812&sr=8-1&keywords=i+married+the+duke
Yes, it's true. This was my first ever historical! And I really enjoyed it. This is also the first in a series, and I can't wait to read the rest!

This year, I'd like to break out of my comfort zone even more. I want to expand my horizons. Debut authors, new to me authors, new genres. Bring it on!

http://www.amazon.com/Blitzing-Emily-Love-Football-Novel-ebook/dp/B00DB3AA3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390068928&sr=8-1&keywords=blitzing+emily
I've already got Julie Brannagh's debut all loaded up and ready to go on my Kindle (now if only I had time to read).

http://www.amazon.com/Wanderer-Thunder-Point-Book-ebook/dp/B00ALTVIHO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1390069040&sr=8-7&keywords=robyn+carr
And I've been told I need to add Robyn Carr to my repertoire ASAP.

Contemporary romance and romantic suspense are my usual poison. Who wants to recommend a new genre for me to try? A new author? What have you read recently and loved?


www.rachellacey.com

Rachel Lacey writes contemporary romance that tugs at your heartstrings. Her debut, Unleashed, will be out this October. She blogs on this site on rotation with the other Ever After Foxes. You can find her online at www.rachellacey.com, or connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.

8 comments:

  1. I know we've already talked about this on Twitter, but I LOVE Roxanne St. Claire! She's amazing, and that series only gets better. As for Ms. Shannon Richard, she's on my list for 2014, too! ;) New discoveries? I can't recommend my local RWA chapter mate and friend, Macy Beckett enough. Her Sultry series is steamy, heartfelt, and funny. She's nothing short of spectacular. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I wish I had time to dive in and read the rest right now (and have we talked about how gorgeous those covers are too?!) I just looked up Macy Beckett and oh, that sounds right up my ally - I just added Sultry With a Twist to my to-read list! :)

      Delete
  2. Awe thanks guys! *blushes* I can't want to read your book too Rachel! October can't get here fast enough. As for Blitzing Emily, that's on my kindle and waiting to be read as well. And I can't say enough about Robyn Carr, though I'd say start with Virgin River...Jack Sheridan is ex-marines, scruffy, yummy, and just so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I can't wait for October either :) That's the Robyn Carr book I brought home from RWA, but I'm adding Virgin River to my list too! Ex-marines? Yes, please!

      Delete
  3. Katharine Ashe is a great choice! I love her books. And I've got a copy of Julie's book as well, I'm a sucker for sports romance.

    A new author I found this past year is Penny Reid. She's writing the Knitting in the City series - book 1 (Neanderthal Seeks Human) and book 2 (Friends Without Benefits) are out and book 3 and a novella will be out soon this year. She's fabulous, her writing is very humorous yet very real. I would recommend her for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks so much for the recommendation! Penny's books look super fun - more for the to-read pile! :)

      Delete
  4. An author whose books I fell in love with in 2013 was Ruthie Knox. She writes fantastic contemporary romance! Definitely worth the time if you haven't read her books already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, I've been meaning to read something of hers - thanks for the reminder! Definitely adding her to my 2014 to-read! :)

      Delete